Gender Identity: One's innermost concept of self as male, female, a blend of both or neither – how individuals perceive themselves and what they call themselves. One's gender identity can be the same or different from their sex assigned at birth.
Gender Expression: External appearance of one's gender identity, usually expressed through behavior, clothing, haircut or voice, and which may or may not conform to socially defined behaviors and characteristics typically associated with being either masculine or feminine.
- County of Santa Clara Office of LGBTQ Affairs provides leadership, resources, and support for the well-being and longevity of LGBTQ communities in Santa Clara County through coordinated, integrated approaches.
- Genderbread Person is a visual diagram to help understand gender and sexuality.
- Gender Spectrum helps to create gender sensitive and inclusive environments for all children and teens. They have a variety of resources for youth, parents, and educators.
- GLSEN's mission is to create safe and affirming schools for all, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. Their Safe Space Kit is designed to help school create a safe place for LGBTQ youth.
- Gender Non-Conforming & Transgender Children from the American Academy of Pediatrics is available on their webpage at HealthyChildren.org
- LGBTQQ Resources for Elementary and Middle Schools has been compiled by Palo Alto Unified School District and contains resources for elementary and middle school aged youth and families.
- Outlet empowers Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and Questioning (LGBTQQ+) youth and builds safe and accepting communities through support, education, and advocacy.
- Welcoming Schools is dedicated to creating respectful and supportive elementary schools by embracing family diversity, creating LGBTQ- and gender-inclusive schools, preventing bias-based bullying, and supporting transgender and non-binary students.
- Children's books about gender identity